Thursday, March 5, 2009

When a good lunch goes bad

Do you ever have a day when everything goes gastronomically wrong? This morning, I skipped breakfast. So busy with email, etc., that by the time I looked at the clock it was almost lunch.

12:30. I microwave my "Vegan Burger India" meal from Whole Foods. I love these meals by a company called Fresh India. They're tasty, healthy, but not cheap. After taking a few bites, I notice a hair. I can't even tell what kind of hair. I call my coworker at our front desk and ask him if I should still eat it. He says, "As long as it doesn't gross you out, then go for it."

I stare at my plate for a long time and move peas and rice around warily with my fork. Then I decide to crawl under my desk to find the discarded hair, to really see if I can ascertain where it came from. The a hair in my recent memory begins to take on many forms: head hair, armpit hair, dog hair, synthetic fiber from an unraveling seat belt.

I decide it's just not worth it and I toss the whole meal. Now I've wasted half my lunch hour and need to go out and spend money on something else to eat. Outside, I settle on a salmon/smoked salmon sandwich. Normally I would really like this, but today I just couldn't deal with the slimy texture of the smoked salmon. I end up picking it apart, extracting the cooked salmon, lettuce, and fennel, and eventually only eating half.

Today I was just not meant to eat. Maybe something's telling me to only eat when hungry, and eat more simply. There's a piece of fruit in my desk that I'll probably have later. That should work out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment